Tuesday, October 9, 2012

It's nude, not naked.

Yes people, I think it's due time that you realize the difference.

Nude. Naked. Nekkid. Unclothed. Their birthday suit.

I am an art student. I have taken drawing classes, 2D/3D design classes, painting classes, digital media classes, photography classes and art history classes. To my delight, the average person is only focused on one specific class, usually with horror: figure drawing (also known as the class where someone is naked! OoOo).

*nonchalant look on face*

Person 1: Waaaaiiit. Hold on. You mean....they don't wear clothes?!?!
Me: Why yes. They are fully nude and we draw them. It's no big deal.
Person 2: But...they're naked.

That's normally how it goes. And for the defense of all those people, the first class I took I freaked out a bit too. Surprise surprise! There are actually people in the world totally ok with their body enough to sit nude in front of a class of people staring at them for two hours. It is a difficult job, and it takes guts (but it pays). To assist this new idea, let me first explain the difference.
Naked (to artists) is a term meaning that the person was not desiring or planning on being undressed in from of others.

Nude (to artists) is when someone specifically isn't wearing clothes for art or some form of it.

So yes, while it's weird at first you get used to it. When I'm drawing I don't think...omg....she is naked!....I can see everything!!

I'm more thinking: "This isn't proportionate yet" "I need this to measure this" "knees are hard to draw" "this music the prof plays is weird" "I wish I had some coffee" "maybe a muffin too."

Indeed whilst I have seen many nudes through the semesters and have a complete portfolio of those works, it's just another art class. When I see that person they are just a person who I had class with and ended up drawing ( drawings which had to be kept from the innocent eyes of my sisters).

So next time you encounter an artist instead of pulling the classic "OMG you draw nekkid people??" just ask, "Oh, so you work with nude models?" Not only will you seem informed but knowledgable about the art community. You can do this! Besides, you never know when one of your friends might be a nude model, they might surprise you!

fully clothed,


Katherine


2 comments:

Genny said...

Thanks for the clarification. When I, as your Mother, realized that my innocent child was going to be sitting in class and looking at people with no clothes on, hereafter to be called "nudes," I freaked a little, too.

By the way, you are the absolute funniest person on the planet. Thanks for starting my day with a smile!

Barb said...

My reaction is not so much horror at the fact that you draw "nudes" but amazement at the fact that some people truly are that comfortable with their bodies. Just can't imagine!

Glad to hear you're protecting the innocent eyes of your sisters, and that you're fully clothed. :)

Post a Comment

 
;