Friday, May 31, 2013

Celebrate With Me!


A year ago, on this very day I posted a blog about my dear friend who we lost to cancer.  I almost considered not writing this blog because it's essentially the same.  However, this time I chose to focus on the reason to celebrate for and with him on this day!


Five years ago I watched one of my dearest friends lose the fight to cancer and life as I knew it became oh so different-a true pain of reality struck me for the first time.  I was seventeen years old and he was sixteen-SIXTEEN!
            In the moment of loosing him, the thought of loosing him was almost too difficult to bear.  At sixteen, you should be just beginning your life, getting your drivers license, going on dates-not spending weeks at St. Jude’s hospital for treatments. 
            The best thing about Tyler Bartlett was his sweet spirit, bright smile and his gorgeous blue eyes.  While Tyler was literally fighting for his life, he lifted the spirits of so many people in his room.  All I remember thinking is, “how in the world is he doing this?  How can he be so happy?”
            In the moment of seeing him so sick, I realized his life had drastically changed when he was diagnosed with this awful disease, but he never let it affect his life.  In fact, it encouraged him to live louder, to be a witness and servant for Christ.
            Then suddenly as this sick reality of the world hit me so hard, I realized that life as he knew was about to be oh so different-and not in a bad way.
            A year after Tyler died, my mother passed away from cancer and while she was sick she would remind me constantly, “I will be healed, either here on earth or ultimately in heaven.”  Those words still ring in my ear as a promise of complete healing for my mother and Tyler.
            And though it took five years to fully realize that Tyler did NOT lose his fight to cancer-oh no! He won, he has the ultimate victory over that sick, awful, terrible disease. 
At sixteen, I thought he should’ve just begun his life and then once again it struck me, he did just begin his life-in heaven! How measly this life seems in the grand scheme of things.
Tyler’s happiness while he was so sick was truly from his heart because he knew who held his future, and however God chose to heal him; it was at peace with his soul. 
What an example Tyler left for me-at sixteen, he had so much more knowledge and wisdom than I do at twenty-two, I believe.  His life was truly a legacy and a lesson learned for me. 
So as the rest of the world goes on with their day of May 31, my heart will not ache at the loss of Tyler from this world, rather it will ache with sorrow for his family whom I love with all my heart and is missing him daily! But today, on this “normal” day for everyone else I WILL REJOICE and celebrate that he is perfect today in the arms of Christ.

Celebrate with me and pray for his sweet family!
Love you sweet, Ty Ty!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Such a beautiful post!

Post a Comment

 
;